ABOUT "STADTMARKETING FÜR WETTER E.V." (ASSOCIATION FOR TOWN MARKETING OF WETTER)

Since 1995 the Association for Town Marketing of Wetter ("Stadtmarketing für Wetter e.V.") works for the presentation of the location Wetter and the systematic prestige advertising as well as for improving the attractiveness of the town of Wetter (Ruhr) for citizens of Wetter (Ruhr), citizens of the surrounding area as well as resident and interested companies. The association wants to contribute by ideological, material and / or financial support for appropriate events in cultural, sporting, economic, social and / or environmental fields. The association can also achieve these purposes by implementing appropriate procedures (eg. planning and guidance documents, publications and related services).

CONTACT INFO

Mining - Neuwülfingsburg trail

The circular route:

Facts:

Route description:

The starting point is the  hiking parking place at the Esborn sports ground on the Böllberg, on which the only  wind turbine in the urban area of Wetter is located (manufacturer: Enercon, year of construction 1994, rated output 80 kW, hub height 34 m).

From the overview board, we turn  to the right. We also come across the GeoRoute Ruhr, which is routed over the principal adit level trail and continued over the Neuwülfingsburg trail. After a few meters the path runs through  beautiful trees down to the former railway line Witten-Schwelm (built in 1911/34, shut down in 1983), which is crossed on the street "In der Ratelbecke". We continue on the road  Am Overbeck between the railway line on the left and the Elbsche on the right.

About 100 m after the railway underpass the GeoRoute divides into a northern and southern arm. The northern skirts the Elbsche river and leads into the Muttental (Witten). The southern accompanies our tour and leaves it via the  Albringhauser Straße to the Sprockhövel mining routes. At the former  railway station Albringhausen, now Landhaus zum alten Bahnhof, a mine car group and an explanatory placard remind of the AVU coal mine "Neuwülfingsburg" on the station forecourt. Founded on September 22, 1845, it was operated after several stoppages from 1934 to 1952 on the road  Altenhains Berg that branches off after about 200 m in a south-westerly direction. From 1952 to 1967 it produced coal opposite to the railway line on today's premises of the company  Naturstein Külpmann.

After crossing the former railway line on the road  Am Overbeck  the mining trail turns left to the former coal mine site. Apart from the "Waschkaue" (explanatory panel) that was converted to an office there is still the machine house. The 60 m deep shaft is filled and covered with a concrete slab. From the junction, we turn left on the street "Am Overbeck" and then turn right onto the  Albringhauser Straße. On the left is a transformer house (Schalthaus Albringhausen) from 1922, which still bears witness to the beginnings of electrification. In the immediate vicinity a small valley points to the mouth of the mine "Knappschaft und Vogelsang".

We follow the course of Albringhauser Straße, and after  crossing the railway again we come back to the GeoRoute Ruhr, which is led from the right via the agricultural path. Following the course of the road, many views are opened up into the Elbsche valley and the Külpmann quarry. After passing the area of the former coal-iron mine "Neu-Hiddinghausen", which still contains a  few buildings on the left and is used as the restaurant Kastanie am Hax, the path turns left into  Wacholderstraße (GeoRoute Ruhr follows the course of the road). We cross the former  railway line again. Shortly before the former youth hostel Esborn, we can reach the site of the former ventilation shaft  Am Timpen after approximately 400 m via the sharp left branch road  Am Leischet. This shaft, once 147 m deep, is also filled and covered. Until the 1920s it was operated with a so-called weather oven. In the vicinity of the shaft, perforated stones point to the pits of the former coal mine "Vereinigte Trappe" (later "Neuwülfingsburg").

Back on  Wacholderstraße, the path continues along  Hülsenweg and  Albringhauser Straße, and after crossing the  Esborner Straße that leads to the  Voßhöfener Straße, it turns right into the street  Am Beile after the  Otto-Hue settlement (founded in the 1950s, named after the coalition worker and trade union leader Otto Hue, 1868-1922). There, the path turns to the left after 200 m and goes via  Im Braken,  Voßhöfener Straße,  Zur Kattenkuhle to the  Voßhöfener Straße. Following the signs we follow this road in the direction of the Ruhr valley, turn left after about 600 meters onto the  Ruhrhöhenweg and, after rounding the  Höstreichberg, meet again the  Voßhöfener Straße. At an acute angle it goes right into the street  Am Hödey and further through the Hödey, passing a discontinued stone quarry (later landfill) to the former pub  Im Korten on the "Esborner Straße". Shortly before the road, between the mighty oaks, was the mouth of the  coal mine St. Georg.  Walking uphill we come back to the  hiking parking place.

Picture gallery (1)

In the year 2016, this picture gallery has been developed with impressions about Mining - Neuwülfingsburg trail. We cordially invite you to browse through this portfolio. Click on an image to enter the gallery mode. If you are an ambitious photographer, we would appreciate if you enrich this collection by providing your picture.