ABOUT "STADTMARKETING F├ťR WETTER E.V." (ASSOCIATION FOR TOWN MARKETING OF WETTER)

Since 1995 the Association for Town Marketing of Wetter ("Stadtmarketing f├╝r Wetter e.V.") works for the presentation of the location Wetter and the systematic prestige advertising as well as for improving the attractiveness of the town of Wetter (Ruhr) for citizens of Wetter (Ruhr), citizens of the surrounding area as well as resident and interested companies. The association wants to contribute by ideological, material and / or financial support for appropriate events in cultural, sporting, economic, social and / or environmental fields. The association can also achieve these purposes by implementing appropriate procedures (eg. planning and guidance documents, publications and related services).

CONTACT INFO

Freiherr vom und zum Stein trail

The circular route:

Facts:

Route description:

Start and end of the circular route is the town hall. Parking is available, and public transport stops are nearby.

At the right corner of the town hall, which was finished in 1909 we see on a pedestal the extra-size bronze statue of the Freiherr vom und zum Stein (born on 26 October 1757, died on 29 June 1831). It shows vom Stein as a reformer and an advocate of an urban self-administration with a grave, strong-minded countenance, his memorandum in the left, with his right hand vigorously underlining his ideas. Wetter was the beginning of his remarkable career. In 1780 he entered Prussian service, and in 1784 he took over the management of the M├Ąrkische Bergamt ("mining agency").

The path leads us first to his former office. We turn left to the Freiheit, turn right into the street  Am Bollwerk and after about 80 m turn left into the street  Freiheit. In the  first house on the right, house no. 19, a former restaurant, Freiherr v. u. z. Stein was living shortly, until his rooms in the ministry were ready for occupancy. Past the picturesque "F├╝nf-Giebeleck" the path turns right into the  Burgstra├če and after a few meters turns left into the street  Im Kirchspiel. The building of the former mining office had been built on the site of the bursar's barn in the years 1780 to 1782 and was placed directly at the right of the castle keep. Here vom Stein lived and managed from 1784 to 1793 as a director, from 1792 also responsible for the Upper Mining Authority. Just a few months after his appointment, he was able to submit a comprehensive "General Report on General Accidents" ("Generalbefahrungsbericht") after inspection of the Ruhr collieries. He successfully implemented improvements in coal mining as well as in the mine management. His efficiency and his successes at the Ruhr led from vom Stein in 1793 to higher tasks in the Prussian state. Following the coal mining to the north, the Upper Mining Authority was moved to Essen in 1803 and the mining office to Bochum in 1815. Friedrich Harkort was able to acquire the mining office building in 1819, including the entire castle estate. Together with J. D. Kamp and the English engineer E. Thomas, he set up the "mechanical workshop" ("Mechanische Werkst├Ątte"), from which the DEMAG was founded by successor companies in 1910. Between 1871 and 1873, the relocation of production to the vicinity of the station in Alt-Wetter took place. The reconstruction of the remaining factory buildings in apartments in the mid-1920s resulted in the demolition of the former mining office building.

We  leave the bailey to the right and meet again the "Burgstra├če" at the  Reformed Church (it was built with extensive use of the foundations of the castle chapel, founded around 1250, and was inaugurated in 1894). We follow the small road downhill and pass after a few steps the so-called "Harkort-Haus" (Burgstra├če 17). Harkort lived here in the 1850s until he settled in Hombruch (Dortmund). At the  Strandweg, the Freiherr vom und zum Stein trail joins the Harkortweg to the right, and the GeoRoute Ruhr is also coming from the direction of Herdecke. At the level of the ship landing stage, until 2009 a steam engine flywheel recalled the steel mill of the Harkort-Eicken steelworks put into operation in 1893, which had emerged from the crude steel hammer founded by the brothers Johann Caspar and Peter Nikolaus Harkort in 1779. Today you can visit this in the Sch├Ântal.

After crossing the  railway and road bridges, our hiking trail continues along the path  Am Obergraben.

After we have left the  restaurant Bootshaus of the rowing club Mark behind us, we recognize the  Waterworks Volmarstein behind the other bank. It was built from 1877 for the former city of Barmen (Barmer Waterworks) and has been in the possession of the AVU since 1982. There at the Kaltenborn a suspension bridge from the year 1893 spans the Ruhr. It is the oldest remaining bridge in the Ruhr valley. At the end of the road, we will turn  right into Sch├Ântaler Stra├če, but before we take a few steps straight ahead into the  access road to the Harkort power station (RWE). The building of the turbine power station was one of the first buildings of the well-known architect Bruno Taut (1880 - 1938) in 1908. The power plant was equipped with four turbines and generators, which produced a total output of around 1.2 MW. With the pondage of Harkortsee ("Harkort lake") in 1931, the building was extended and got stronger machines. The hydroelectric power plant now operated by RWE has a capacity of 6.1 MW.

Returning to "Sch├Ântaler Stra├če" we leave this after about 160 m  to the left onto the former REME site. There the former Harkort-Eicken steelworks was located. In addition to the power station, the administrative building, a few workshop halls and a  water tower about 40 m high, testify to its existence. It can be regarded as the origin of today's Deutsche Edelstahlwerke GmbH. Following the signs, we reach the  Ruhrdeich, where we continue past the water gauge Wetter (Ruhrverband, explanatory panel) towards the  Ruhr bridge (1899/1954). After crossing the Ruhr (at the time of vom Steim there was only one ferry, the "lower ferry"), we cross the  Grundsch├Âtteler Stra├če (B234) and go parallel to "Oberwengerner Stra├če" to turn left after about 270 m into the street  Haus Hove.

Going uphill we see on the left  the gate (1754) with the defence tower (1616) and stables, as well as the  mansion of the former manor Haus Hove, rebuilt around 1920. In the time of vom Steim, their owners, the Masters of Schwachenberg, were one of the largest trades in the Schlebusch district. They played a major role in the construction of the Schlebusch principal adit level (from 1765), which with its completion about 100 years later became the longest and most important of the Ruhr area.

Walking further, we turn right into the  Hoffmann-von-Fallersleben-Stra├če. Behind the sports hall at the Geschwister-Scholl-Gymnasium, a  flight of stairs leads down to the south-western tip of the former clay slate quarry (called "Kiesschacht") of the 1963 disused Volmarstein steam brick manufacture (Carl B├Ânnhoff). Today there is a tennis court and a sports field. We leave the stairs to the left and after a few meters we stand in front of the mighty  clay ironstone in the left bank. Returning on the right, we continue on the "Hoffmann-von-Fallersleben-Stra├če". At the junction of the road  Am Wilshause we reach the  Stetroter Weg via a short  connecting path, which also runs along the principal adit level mining route, which we follow to the right. In the valley clearly stands the  natural gas ball of the AVU. At the confluence of the road into the  Oberwengerner Stra├če we turn to the left and after about 160 m turn  left again into the Limbecke valley. After a few meters, we see the Stollenbach from the trench of the Schlebusch principal adit level run into the river bed of the Limbecke. About 200 m above us the  entrance to the principal adit level and the miner's tools chamber with an impressive entrance portal await us. Walking uphill, the path winds along the upper edge of a larger former  quarry (called "Kiesschacht"), from which a second brickyard (Ludwig B├Ânnhoff) that was operated in the valley was supplied with clay slate. About 350 meters further on the left is a smaller abandoned  sandstone quarry. After further 500 m the path leads into the street  Horstbecke. While the GeoRoute Ruhr is routed to the right (via the principal adit level mining route to the  cartographic center of Wetter and to the Neuw├╝lfingsburg trail), we turn left at an acute angle and meet again after exceeding the  mountain crest (worthwhile view of the H├Âstreichberg and the Ruhr valley) the  Stetroter Weg. Here we go down to the valley and, on reaching the "Hoffmann-von-Fallersleben-Stra├če" via the  connection path, we return to the Ruhr bridge, cross the "Oberwengerner Stra├če" and turn left onto the bridge. On the left side we continue straight on the  Ruhrstra├če and after  crossing the railway line Hagen-Witten we come to the  Bahnhofstra├če. To the left is the railway station Wetter (Ruhr). It was built in 1905, composed of local sandstone and replacing the first railway station, a half-timbered building built in 1848 with the construction of the Bergisch-M├Ąrkische railway. Today there is only one stop in Wetter. However, the station building could be used for other purposes. Among other things, the  town library as well as a  gastronomy have moved in. Following the "Bahnhofstra├če" straight we reach the  Kaiserstra├če, turn left at the Sparkasse building, cross the traffic lights and proceed to the  Bismarckstra├če an the  Evangelical Lutheran Church (Ruhr Valley Cathedral) (1906) (Evangelical Lutheran Church Wetter (Ruhr)). This large three-aisled building of Wilhelminian style was erected on the site of the old village church, demolished in 1904, and inaugurated in 1906. Before the  stairs we turn to the left and take the  K├Ânigsstra├če where we turn right. This road, in former times as "Kirchweg", connected the Freiheit with the village Wetter. Also the church attendees of the "Freiheit" had to go to the village church for worship. The castle chapel was reserved for the people in the castle. Even Freiherr vom und zum Stein would have chosen this route if he were to inspect the coal-mining district on the other side of the Ruhr by means of a carriage or on horseback. Following the course of the road, we pass the  junction of Wilhelmstra├če and one of the oldest remaining inns in Alt-Wetter, the Zur Eiche restaurant. Until the middle of the 1950s it stood in the shadow of a 450 year old oak. Today's oak, called "Liberty Oak", was planted in 1957. At its feet a monument erected in 1819 reminds us of the freedom wars.

After reaching  Kaiserstra├če we turn to the right and after a few steps we return to the town hall.

Picture gallery (1)

In the year 2016, this picture gallery has been developed with impressions about Freiherr vom und zum Stein trail. We cordially invite you to browse through this portfolio. Click on an image to enter the gallery mode. If you are an ambitious photographer, we would appreciate if you enrich this collection by providing your picture.